Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Smurf you... Mother Smurfer!


It was at about this time that my confidence started growing and I decided to try adapting a few characters to my new found medium... and just like those times before I chose the Smurfs to start with.

The "Generic" smurf was made from the Pinhead pattern. The hat was easy... a simple pattern I cooked up in Illustrator. The hard part of this build? The ears.

I ended up folding the fleece and sewing it in several places to form them just right. It was a pain to duplicate.
This was also my first attempt at a foam body... A little experimentation and a copy of "The Foam Book" helped out here.

Next up was Papa Smurf. The build went pretty much the same as the first one... except I added the beard made from white fuzzy fleece.





And finally, Smurfette... unlike the first two smurfs, she is built from the Roly pattern. It was during this build that I discovered that flipping the foam inside out would smooth out the corners and give a more rounded appearance. I also found out how well the "Baseball Stitch" works when sewing fleece directly across foam.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi I really like your work with the smurf, I have on question did you enlarge the pin head puppet pattern and if so to what %. you can email if you like valenpont@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

Who else wants an entire show with these